Court image for Domestic Violence Law Page for Creevey Russell Lawyers

Domestic Violence


Comprehensive Domestic Violence Advice

There are an increasing number of applications being made under the Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act from individuals who feel aggrieved in domestic violence relationships. Once an application is made, an individual is required to respond to the allegations and make a decision as to whether or not they wish to contest the making of a domestic violence protection order, or consent to an order being made without a proper hearing. There are positives and negatives associated with each option.

Applications can be made by the Queensland Police Service on behalf of an individual or by an individual who feels aggrieved or unsafe.

Creevey Russell Lawyers has considerable experience in representing both applicants and respondents in domestic violence proceedings. It is quite common for an application of this nature to have a considerable impact on your life, whether you are responding to the application or applying for an order. Proceedings of this nature can impact on other types of proceedings an individual may be facing, for example parenting proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia.

Should the Court make a domestic violence order naming a respondent, either on a temporary basis or longer-term basis, there are various consequences that can flow from breaching an order. A criminal charge of contravention of a domestic violence order is a common charge before the Court, and, depending on the level of seriousness of the breach, can include penalties of actual imprisonment being imposed on first time offenders who are found guilty of these matters.

If you feel as though you require additional protection by making an application for a domestic violence order, or should you be required to respond to a domestic violence order, please contact our dedicated team of lawyers so that we can provide you with comprehensive advice as to the most appropriate way to proceed.

Applications under the Peace and Good Behaviour Act

An application can be made under the Peace and Good Behaviour Act who feels aggrieved in particular circumstances. In these matters, an individual can make an application to the Court for an Order protecting them, and if necessary, other named parties, against the behaviour of an individual that is outside of a domestic relationship. Proceedings of this nature can involve disagreements between neighbours, as well as other types of relationships, who feel as though they need additional protection through the making of an order. If granted, terms of an order can include that the respondent keep the peace, not approach within a certain distance of the aggrieved person’s place of residence or employment, and no contact conditions. If an order is made, consequences can flow for a respondent who is deemed to have breached an order of this nature. Creevey Russell Lawyers has knowledge and expertise in representing individuals in these types of proceedings, whether it be representing the applicant or respondent. These types of proceedings can be stressful for all parties involved in a dispute, and we are committed to ensuring that you get the best representation available to you. Should you wish to discuss representation for proceedings of this nature, whether you feel aggrieved or are required to respond to the application, please contact our office at your earliest opportunity for further information.

Our Domestic Violence Team